1. ‘The short story competition’ is the Carapace Hot Short Stories 2013.
2. The short story competition is open to all writers aged 18 or over.
3. The general theme or background for each story should be ‘evolution’. Entrants are strongly encouraged to use ‘evolution’ in its widest sense. Consider, for example; personal growth, metamorphosis, change, improvement, amongst many other possible aspects.
4. Each story should be no more than 4000 words and no less than 1500 words.
5. Each story submitted must be the author’s own work of fiction, written in English.
6. The competition is open to any writer aged 18 or over on 1st June 2013.
7. Entrants may be resident anywhere on the globe.
8. Up to 20 stories from the short story competition entries will be selected by a panel of judges made up of Carapace authors (who are not allowed to participate). The judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. All stories selected will be included in the Carapace 2014 Evolution Collection which will be published in digital format in 2014.
10. Authors of each story included will receive an ecopy of the book.
11. From the stories selected, a panel of judges will select the overall winners.
12. The overall winner will be given a $250 prize. Payment to the winner will be by bank transfer. The winner will be notified no later than 31st January 2014. If no story of sufficient quality is submitted then the prize may be withheld.
13. Submissions must be previously unpublished in any form, including digital formats, peer review websites, blogs, author’s own websites. If a story is published elsewhere after submission to the competition, then the author must advise Carapace immediately and the story may be withdrawn from the short story competition without refund.
14. By submitting a story the author warrants that it is their own work and contains no words or references which will infringe any other copyright.
15. By submitting a story the author indemnifies Carapace against all costs, losses or actions which might arise from publication of a submitted story.
16. The copyright of each submission is retained by the author.
17. By submitting a story to the competition the author grants an exclusive one-year licence to Carapace to publish the work in any form without any further royalty or payment to the author from 31st January 2014.
18. By submitting a story to the short story competition, the author accepts all rules and outcomes.
19. Carapace reserves the right to edit any story chosen for publication where such editing may include altering the title, shortening or correcting the text.
20. Authors will be credited by name for any story published. Authors who feel that anonymity is required because of any special circumstances should indicate this when submitting their stories.
21. Entries must be received between 1st June 2013 and 12 noon 1st December 2013. They must be sent as an attachment to an email addressed to email@example.com.
a) The story must be in one of the following document formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf .
b) The document must be page numbered and have the title of the story on each page.
c) The document must NOT have the author’s name anywhere on it.
d) The submission email must contain the PayPal payment reference, the author’s full name, address (with zip/postal code) and daytime telephone number.
e) The subject of the submission email must be ‘Carapace Hot Short Stories 2013’ followed by the title of the story.
f) Please check and double-check your story before submitting it!
22. Stories should be presented in size 12 font, preferably Times New Roman or similar, and be double spaced.
23. The genre of writing must be contemporary commercial literary fiction.
24. Authors may submit more than one entry.
25. A fee of $10 is required for each entry in the short story competition . This must be sent via PayPal to Carapace (entrants will be encouraged to use the button provided at the bottom of this page direct to PayPal). The author’s name and the title of the story should be included as references in the payment process.
26. No refund of entry fees will be made for any story which is found to be in breach of any of the stated rules of entry.
27. Entries from the Carapace editorial team or anyone directly associated with Carapace or the competition will not be considered for prizes.
If you have any queries about the terms and conditions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org